Monday, October 21, 2013

Ethiopian completes fastest marathon run in Canada; Tola wins Beijing Marathon

QeerrooflagOctober 20, 2013, Canada (CBC News) — A pair of women each broke a 28-year-old record at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon on Sunday, while an Ethiopian runner clocked the fastest marathon time on Canadian soil.
Lanni Marchant of London, Ont., finished the marathon in 2:28:00, just over a half-minute ahead of Krista DuChene of Brantford, Ont., who clocked a race time of 2:28:32.
Both times beat Sylvia Ruegger’s previous record of 2:28:36, which had been set in Houston in 1985.
The first Canadian male to cross the finish line was Eric Gillis, of Guelph, Ont., with a time of 2:11:49, about 20 seconds shy of his personal best. He completed the race fifth overall. 
“Somewhere in the last five kilometres I really slowed down,” Gillis said. “I had the best first half of a race I have ever had.
“I had amazing pacers that took me to 30 km on Canadian record pace, and today showed me that I am going to have to get stronger for that last 12 km.”
Deressa Chimsa, a 26-year-old male runner from Ethiopia, managed to pull off the fastest marathon run ever on Canadian soil at 2:07:05.

‘Take control, stay patient’

Marchant, a native of London, Ont., will take home $8,000, plus a $28,000 bonus for her record-breaking time.
“I am still in shock,” Marchant said following the race.
Marchant placed 44th at the women’s marathon at the world track and field championships in Moscow last summer after experiencing significant cramping in the left side of her body.
She says she thought about her experience in Moscow during the Toronto race.
“My calves didn’t cramp as bad as the worlds, but they definitely started to hurt… After the first 10 kilometres, I thought, ‘OK, you are feeling alright. Stay with the group until 20 km and then 20 km came and then 30 km,’ ” Marchant said.
Deressa Chimsa of Ethiopia ran a 2:07:05 marathon in Toronto on Sunday. Organizers of the Toronto Waterfront Marathon said it was "the fastest time ever run on Canadian soil." (Michael Gregory/CBC)
Deressa Chimsa of Ethiopia ran a 2:07:05 marathon in Toronto on Sunday. Organizers of the Toronto Waterfront Marathon said it was “the fastest time ever run on Canadian soil.” (Michael Gregory/CBC)
“I guess about 33 km or 34 km in I kind of pulled away from Krista and I was thinking, ‘I have to keep going.’ The worlds was in the back of mind, and with a flip of a switch things can go wrong. So I thought ‘take control, stay patient.’ ”
Prior to the worlds in Moscow, Canada had not had a woman run the distance at a world championship.
DuChene, who clocked a personal best at the Toronto event, said she was happy to be running alongside Marchant through most of the race.
“It’s ideal — someone right beside you pushing you,” she said. “It’s phenomenal for women in this sport. I have no regrets, I left everything out there.”
The weather in Toronto on Sunday morning was sunny but cool, with temperatures hovering around 5 C at the beginning of the road race.
Cheyech maintains 2013 winning streak
The women’s victor was Kenya’s Flomena Cheyech who, like Chimsa, is represented by the Italian sports agency DeMadonna Management.
She ran wisely as the lead women went through the halfway point in 1:11:53, but by 24km she found herself in the lead with nobody willing to push the pace. While the others slowed, she just powered away from the field to win in 2:25:13.
“I am pleased with how I ran, really, because I was not really concentrating on the course record,” said Cheyech, who is undefeated this year, having won at the Rome-Ostia Half Marathon in 1:07:39 and at the Vienna Marathon in 2:24:34, setting PBs on both occasions.
“I was not ready for it. The course was very tough. I am happy I finished this race and I was still feeling good at the end.
“When I looked around at 24km there was nobody who wanted to come in front and when I arrived at 30km there was nobody coming again, so I motivated myself to keep going on. This is the beginning of racing for me. Maybe one day I will have a business in Kenya.”
The early pace destroyed many of the leading contenders leaving Ethiopian Sechale Adugna to claim second in 2:26:43.
CBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment